Saturday, February 13, 2010

recommendation

I don't often do this, but I feel compelled to mention it.  I recently read a book that was so moving to me, I wanted to share it with you all. 

Through my sister (and through the wide world web) I was introduced to an author, Diane Keyes.  She wrote "The Spirit of the Snow People".  My sister suggested that perhaps my boys would like the story.  I was prepared for it to be a fairy tale type story, but it went so much deeper than that. 

Ms. Keyes tells the story of the "Snow People" of whom the town people grow to love, but seem to easily dismiss them when Spring time comes and the Snow People disappear.  The town people wonder why anyone would bother to make such a fuss over the Snow People when they inevitably melt.  Obviously, the moral of the story is the care & love that you put into any relationship is never unnecessary and how the spirit of a loved one will always live on in our hearts. It's worded so beautifully and it's message is so warm, that I believe it could potentially soften the blow for anyone dealing with grief.  A child could really benefit from hearing the story.  Death is such an enormous topic for a child to grasp, this book does a marvelous job explaining another side of losing someone.

If you know anyone who is struggling with a loss, I would suggest this book.  It could be a touching gift and also one that could continue to warm hearts, each and everytime it's read.

~Feeling sentimental on Super Bowl Sunday
xo

No comments: